Latanoprost is an antiglaucoma drug, an analog of prostaglandin F2α and a selective FP receptor agonist. It reduces intraocular pressure by increasing the outflow of aqueous humor, mainly along the uveoscleral pathway. Latanoprost does not have a significant effect on the production of aqueous humor and does not affect the blood-ophthalmic barrier.
A decrease in intraocular pressure begins 3-4 hours after the drug administration, the maximum effect – after 8-12 hours, the effect continues for at least 24 hours.
- Open-angle glaucoma;
- Increased intraocular pressure.
Latanoprost eye drops price depends on the pharmacy you address. But you may follow the link to find the best price.
- In the conjunctival sac of the affected eye, 1 drop is instilled 1 time / day, in the evening.
- If a dose is missed, the next dose is administered as usual (i.e., the dose is not doubled).
- The organ of vision: eye irritation (burning sensation, feeling of sand in the eyes, itching, tingling and sensation of a foreign body), blepharitis, conjunctival hyperemia, eye pain, increased iris pigmentation, transient point erosion of the epithelium, eyelid edema, edema and erosion of the cornea , conjunctivitis, lengthening, thickening, an increase in the number and increase in the pigmentation of eyelashes and vellus hair, iritis/uveitis, keratitis, macular edema (including cystoid), a change in the direction of eyelash growth, sometimes causing eye irritation, blurred vision.
- Dermatological reactions: rash, darkening of the eyelid skin and local skin reactions from the eyelids.
- The nervous system: dizziness, headache.
- The respiratory system: bronchial asthma (including acute attacks or exacerbation of the disease in patients with a history of bronchial asthma), shortness of breath.
- The musculoskeletal system: muscle pain, joint pain.
- Others: nonspecific chest pain.
- Children and adolescents up to 18 years old;
- Hypersensitivity to the components of the drug.
The drug should be used with caution in patients with aphakia, pseudoaphakia with rupture of the posterior lens capsule, in patients with known risk factors for macular edema (when treating with latanoprost, cases of macular edema, including cystoid edema, have been described); inflammatory, neovascular or congenital glaucoma (due to lack of sufficient experience with the drug).
Application during pregnancy and lactation
The use of Latanoprost during pregnancy is possible only under the supervision of a physician and only if the expected benefit to the mother outweighs the risk of developing possible side effects in the fetus.
Latanoprost and its metabolites may be excreted in breast milk. If necessary, the appointment of Latanoprost during lactation, breastfeeding should be discontinued.
Application in children
Contraindicated in children and adolescents under 18 years of age.
- Symptoms: irritation of the mucous membrane of the eye, conjunctival hyperemia or episclera.
- Treatment: carrying out symptomatic therapy.
- The simultaneous instillation of two prostaglandin analogs can cause a paradoxical increase in intraocular pressure.
- When prescribing a combination therapy, eye drops of various drugs should be administered at intervals of at least 5 minutes.
Pharmaceutically incompatible with eye drops containing thiomersal (precipitation).